Sunday, January 18, 2009

Engaging God's World - Plantinga (Fall)

"An addict, for example, partakes of a substance or practice that he knows might kill him. For a time he does so freely. He has a choice. He freely starts a 'conversion unto death,' and for reasons he can't fully explain, he doesn't stop until until he crashes. He starts out with a choice."

A good friend of mine and I were discussing why one or one shouldn't drink alcohol. She made the statement; "Nobody thinks they're going to become an alcoholic when they take their first sip." I have always remembered that. When I read this quote I was reminded of that. We all have a choice to take a that first sip and even the second sip. But after many more sips, we don't have a choice. We are a slave to alcohol. 

"We had a choice. We now have near -compulsion - at least that what we have without the grace of God to set us free."

I have recently been struggling with the idea that I am free because I have God. How I am living the free lifestyle when I have to follow these commandments? Yet, my neighbor can do whatever they want? How am I free one? And it's times like when I read something so simple yet so deep that I realize I AM FREE. I free from sin. I have that control that an alcoholic does not. Sin cannot grasp me and lead me to the path of evil. Because of the grace of God, I still have a choice. 


1 comment:

  1. Dear Annie,

    Thanks for your comments! YES!!!! You and I are FREE! What a realization…
    Furthermore, when you state “my neighbor can do whatever he wants”, there is a second calling; What can you do to help your enslaved neighbor, to become free or your fellow freedman/woman to ‘stay free’, without judging?
    To be a watchman/woman! God assigns us to be our “brother’s keeper”! A “watchman” set up from the Lord to warn others (and ourselves) of danger; "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me” (Ezekiel 3:17). Sometimes the watchman will be wrong, but never superfluous… Nobody will blame a watchman for being who he/she is!
    Let’s continue in our high calling!
    God Bless,
    Adriana & Paulo

    ReplyDelete