Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Problem of Pain

"Pain is umasked, unmistakable evil;"

It's kind of interesting that I chose to write this blog today instead of yesterday or the day before. I just got home from a very surprising lunch with my roommate's parents. It's was a very stressful lunch, and I was very hurt by somethings that were said. On the way home, I was trying hard not to cry, but the pain was unmasked. I could not hide the pain I was feeling. As much as tried to hide in the backseat of my roommate's car and not cry, I sure enough cried anyways. And they noticed. My pain was very evident, and obvious. 

"I remind myself that all these toys never intended to possess my heart, that my true good is in another world and my only issue is Christ."

This quote goes along really well with the one in The Weight of Glory. "Our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday by the sea. We are far too easily pleased." 

It's really good to have this constant reminder. 

I really thought the problem of pain was a very well written book of explaining pain and how it relates to God and christianity. I have never heard it before the way Lewis described it. He is so vivid and precise. Lewis really does have a way of explaining things in a way that brings unthought thoughts and feelings into words. It's wonderful to discover so much about myself while reading his works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment